Friday, November 7, 2014

Collision Course: The Story of Jeremiah

Excuses, excuses, excuses. We have all made them for various occasions; why we are running late, why we forgot our assignment, why I forgot to take out the trash, why we don’t want to go out with someone. Our excuses can sound really ridiculous at times- "My dog ate my homework”, "I can’t because I’ve got to floss my cat tonight”. 

I wonder what our excuses sound like when it comes to serving God. Jeremiah made some crazy excuses. But never once did God chide Jeremiah or beat him over the head with the Bible or give him a spiritual back hand across the face. God reassures Jeremiah when he lacks faith. He tells Jeremiah 3 things before he sets out on his mission as a prophet.

God knows you
You are special
You are created for a purpose

Jeremiah interrupts God and says “I’m too young” and I’m too uneducated.” Jeremiah has an “I’m too attitude.”  When it comes to seeking and serving God how would you fill out the sentence “I’m too______.” Would you say,  "I can’t possibly do that I’m too young to share my faith” or “I’m too busy to read my Bible and pray.” 

Change is really scary and difficult. The privileged Jeremiah was going to give up on any personable ambitions and his career to become a priest in order to pursue a vocation as a prophet. God’s secret to get through the scary change, the promise that God said, “I AM with you.” (Jeremiah 1:7-8). 

When we give God excuses, He gives us a promise of His presence. We don’t need an excuse if God is with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment